Pages

Wednesday, 1 February 2017

January Wrap-Up

My reading year has got off to a pretty good start. I read a total of four books this month. It may not seem like very many to some people but for me that's pretty good, although reading is about quality not quantity of course!



This book was a lovely way to kick off the reading year. A nice, relaxing story, perfect for those times you need to escape from the stresses of reality! It's about trying to leap outside of your comfort zone, a story that's perfect to start the year with. If you're a fan of Gilmore Girls, you'll enjoy this, the town this book is set in, Broken Whee,l reminds me of Stars Hollow! The story was a little slow at times but overall, a really enjoyable read.
Rating: 4/5




This book was a Christmas present from my Dad. It's part of the Hogarth Shakespeare series and is a retelling of The Winter's Tale. Besides a little background information and that infamous stage direction, I knew very little about the story. It was a really interesting concept to bring to a more modern, at times futuristic setting. I got a little lost at times but Jeanette Winterson writes in an almost lyrical way, I enjoyed the challenge!
Rating: 3/5

I have to be honest, I didn't read this book but listened to it on Audible instead (that still counts though, right?). Apart from being a little bit obsessed with Parks and Recreation, I wasn't really aware of what kind of person Amy Poehler was. I'd heard good things about this book and thought it would be something easy and light hearted to listen to whilst I was getting ready each morning. It ended up being my favourite book of the month! Amy is hilarious, that's not news to anyone, but what took me by surprise was the insight she gave into life, love and work. Her beautiful way with words took me completely by surprise and I loved hearing the words in her own voice (and the voices of her special guests!). To fully appreciate Amy's wisdom and comic brilliance, you should listen to the audiobook.
Rating: 5/5

Lorelai Gilmore is one of my favourite female characters, so when I was given this book for Christmas I couldn't wait to get my teeth into it! I sped through this book, it's witty and heartfelt and full of behind the scenes tales from the set of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood. Graham's writing style reminded me of Miranda Hart's, so if you enjoyed her autobiography, I'm sure you'll love this too!
Rating: 4/5


5. Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
I don't want to say too much about this book because I'm planning to post a more in-depth review in a couple of weeks time. All I will say for now is that I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Rating: 4/5

What have you been reading in January? Did you have a favourite book this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment