Pages

Wednesday, 25 January 2017

Reading Resolutions

Halfway through January seems like a strange time to upload a resolutions post but better late than never I suppose! I’ve set these reading resolutions to help widen my reading experience and make it more enjoyable, reading is a joy rather than a chore.

Last year, I set myself a goal of reading 20 books. I ended up reading 25. I was so impressed with myself for reading so many books, especially since I’d started the year in a bit of a reading slump, but then I realised I couldn’t really remember any of the books I’d read. I’d been so focused on hitting that target that I hadn’t taken the time to reflect on the stories and books I was consuming. I was completely focused on a number rather than the experience, which is not what reading is about at all. With that in mind, I want to really appreciate every book I read. If that means taking more time over each one, so be it.

One of my goals for last year was to explore new and unfamiliar genres. In 2016, I started reading non-fiction books and I really enjoyed all of them, I particularly recommend Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. This year I’m going to try and read more biographies and memoirs as well as factual books. What I love about non-fiction books is the way you can dip in and out of them. I tend to keep a fiction book on the go at the same time for long journeys or when I need to switch off, but if I find myself with a spare five minutes, I love picking up a non-fiction book. This year, I’m looking forward to reading Girl Up by Laura Bates and Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. I’m always looking for more non-fiction books to add to my list so please leave any recommendations you have!

I really want to diversify my reading list this year both in terms of authors, characters and subject matter. For me, the whole point of reading is to open yourself to other people’s stories and experiences. With that in mind, I’m going to make an extra effort to read books by or about people of colour and members of the LGBTQ community. I’ve heard brilliant things about Swing Time by Zadie Smith and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz. Again, if you have any recommendations, please let me know!

These are my three main reading goals for 2017, I haven’t set many because I don’t want to turn reading into work. I would also like to read 30 books this year but, if I find myself reading only to reach a target number, I’m going to slow down.


Do you have any reading resolutions for this year? How are they going so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment